Sentence Appeals

You can appeal against the severity of a sentence handed down by the Local, District or the Supreme Court.

If you plead guilty or are found guilty you may still appeal the sentence if it is too severe.  

An appeal to the District Court is heard by way of a rehearing of the evidence given in the Local Court and fresh evidence may be admitted.  Helpfully if the Distict Court Judge is considering increasing the sentence imposed by the Magistrate, they must warn you of this and give you the opportunity to withdraw your appeal.  This enables everyone to have their sentence reasessed by a Judge.

Lenz Legal will provide you with expert advice regarding your severity appeal.